Bacon, ancestor of the Bacons of Shrubland Hall, of Ipswich, an Earlham". Burke's Genealogical & Heraldic History of the Peerage Baronetage & Knightage" (1970 edition). Issue. Shrubland Hall History: He was was the first to own the Estate and it remained in the Bacon family for five succeeding generations. In 1770, the Rev. John Bacon, vicar of Coddenham, engaged James Paine to design a three storey house close to the site of the original Elizabethan house, the Chapel of which still remains. Paines building, virtually intact, forms the nucleus of the present House. Its entrance (now on the Gun Terrace) and ground floor (now the Treatment Rooms) together with the principal rooms on the first floor, faced the magnificent westerly view over the Gipping Valley. The Drawing room and Ante-room (now the Television Room) display decorated ceilings enriched with gilding and classical corner roundels in the full Adam style. Sir William Middleton, Bart of Crowfield, purchased the Estate, including the Elizabethan house and Chapel and Paines house, from the last of the Bacons in 1790. Church memorials at Boxted: Name BACON, Sir Nathaniel and Lady Elizabeth Memorial Wall tablet above Chancel door Notable dates 1628 - Lady Elizabeth died 1660 - Sir Nathaniel died and was buried at Barham Other Information Sir Edward Bacon of Shrubland Hall (father) Lady Elizabeth was daughter of Robert Maidstone of Boxted Hall "Edward Bacon, a favourite half-brother of Francis, had leased Twickenham Park for twenty-one years from 1574, and both Anthony and Francis resided there, Edward preferring to remain at Shrubland Hall, near Ipswich."
|Born: Redgrave, Suffolk, , England 1548 ||Baptised: |
|Died: Barnham, , , England 1615 ||Buried: |
- Family Archivists: see