1708 - 1794
Robinson, 6th son. DD Archbishop of Armagh, Primate of all lreland. He built Rokeby at Marley near Dunleer in Co. Louth. Robinson was the sixth son of William Robinson of Rokeby, Yorkshire. He was educated at Westminister, and matriculated at Christ church, Oxford in 1726 and graduated B.A. in 1730 and M.A. in 1733. On leaving Oxford he became chaplain to Blackburne, Archbishop of York and in 1738 he was made Rector of Elton in East Riding. He had several other parishes in Yorkshire when in 1751 he attended the Duke of Dorset, Lord Lieutenant to Ireland, as his chaplain. He obtained the See of Killala through the influence of his relatives and was consecrated on 19 January 1752. He was translated to Leighlin and Ferns in 1759, and promoted to Kildare in 1761. After the Archbishopric of Armagh had been declined by Newton, Bishop of Bristol, and Edmund Keene of Chester, it was offered to Robinson, and he became primate on 19 January 1765.
|Born: Merton, Norfolk, , England 1708 ||Baptised: |
|Died: Clifton, Gloucs., England 10th Oct 1794 ||Buried: vault, Armagh, , , Ireland 1794 |
Robinson of Rokeby Hall