Ellis, of Brampton nr Wath. This may be he...Dr George Ellis [1627 -1712], nephew of Sir George Ellis, was one of Brampton's most notable inhabitants, lived as the squire of Brampton Hall. George Ellis was well known as a local benefactor to charitable causes, he founded the Brampton Ellis School which later became the Junior School and the Brampton Ellis Trust, which to this day, owns 70% of the land in Brampton. In 1711, the year before his death, George Ellis devised to seven trustees at Brampton certain lands out of rents as follows: The will of George Ellis of Brampton (Yorkshire), gentleman: Estate at Brampton Bierly in parish of Wath in trust to pay: £20 p.a. to an afternoon lecturer at Wath £5 p.a. to vicar of Darfield if resident £6.13s. 4d. p.a. to school at Brampton, or Wath (as trustees choose) to teach 20 poorest boys and girls of the parish, with 20s. for books, 50s. for apprenticing, 10s. for coals and 1s. p. week for bread; and 20s. for 1 poor widow to live in a room in the schoolhouse. £6.13s. 4d. to school at Barnsley, with 20s. , 50s. and 10s. as above, and 20s. to curate for catechising. £10 p.a. to charity school at Rotherham Should any above school fail, money to go to charity schools at Leeds, York or Hull, or to charitable uses trustees think fit.