Schaw, From "Sauchie and Alloa - A People's History" by John Adamson 1988: "The Shaws In the year 1321, Robert the Bruce granted the lands of Sauchie (the place or field of the willows) to Henry de Annand, formerly Sheriff of Clackmannan, who had been responsible for colloecting the King's taxes and organising the defence of the Shire. A tower was built in 1335 on the site of the present Sauchie Tower which was built before 1431 when Mary de Annand, the co-heiress to the estate, married Sir James SChaw of Greenock. The Schaws had been hereditary cup bearers to the kings of Scotlnad since one of them uncovered a plot to poison the King. Their family crest was 3 covered cups on a shield. The Schaws gained prominence in 1474 when Sir James, the second son of the above James, was sent as an Ambassador to negotiate a marriage between the infant Prince of Scotland and Cecelia, the daughter of Edward IV of England. But This Sir James, Keeper of Stirling Castle, will be remembered more as a match breaker than a match maker, for in 1488 he and three others, namely, Sir hew Borthwick, Sir Patrick Gray and Sir William keir, were engaged by Henry VII of England to break up a romance between the heir to the Scottish throne, the 17 year old Duke of Rothesay, and Margaret Drummond of Blairdrummond, and leave the way open for a marriage with the English princess, Margaret Tudor. Margaret Drummond was abducted away from the scene but this had rather serious repercussions and ended with the King, James III, and his son, the Duke of Rothesay, fighting on opposite sides at the battle of Sauchieburn, (NOT the same Sauchie!!!) after the battle, the murder of the wounded king by Schaw and the other three abductors. Sir James was pardoned by remission under the great seal. In 1598, Sir William Schaw, a great great grandson, was Master of Works to the King. He was also a prominent figure in the Masonic movement, being the author of the Schaw Statutes. A new mansion house was added to the west wall about 1631 by Alexander Schaw, who was knighted in 1633 by Charles I. By 1682, the Schaws of Sauchie were in financial difficulty and Sir John Schaw of the Greenock cadet line of the family bought off the debt and acquired, by legal process, the right to the main line of the family of Schaw. Schawpark House was built at the beginning of the 1700's and Newtonschaw, the "New Town of the Schaws". to house the estate workers. In 1752, the male line failed when Sir James Schaw died, leaving an only child as heiress. SHe married her cousin, Charles Schaw, 9th Lord Cathcart. They settled into the family home of Schawpark in 1771. Their grandson sold the property in 1793 to his Aunt Luisa, 3rd duaghter of Charles, 9th lord Cathcart who, through marriage, was Countess of Mansfield. One of Scotland's most famous paintings in the National Gallery, Edinburgh, is a full length portrait of a very beautiful lady painted by Gainsborough, about 1770, and entitled the "Gainsborough Lady". The lady was Mary Schaw, a daughter of the above Charles Schaw, 9th Lord Cathcart and sister to the above Luisa, Countess of Mansfield."