Shirley, 2nd dau. Famous for her conversion to Methodism and the creation of The Countess of Huntingdon's Connection a now obscure sect of that non-conformist church. Selina was converted by her sister-in-law, [Missing XREF c-hastings10986] and became an intimate of the Wesley brothers. She was a member of first Methodist Society in Fetter Lane, London in 1739. She was the first supporter of itinerant lay preaching and employed among her chaplains, Whitefield, Romaine, and Venn. She was also associated with Toplady, Doddridge, and Dr Watts. She established the first regular chapel at Brighton, Sussex in 1761 and set up churches in London, Bath, Tunbridge, and other aristocratic centres. Her chapels were registered as Dissenting (e.g. from the established Anglican or Episcopalian faith) meeting-houses after 1779. Her minister's training college at Trevecca opened in 1768, removed to Cheshunt, Hertfordshire in 1792. She supported Whitefield against the Wesleys, but attempted a reconciliation in 1749, and took an active part in the protest against the anti-Calvinistic minutes of Wesley's Conference, 1770, and against relaxation of subscription, 1772.